Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ireland Adventure for 1



So I spent last weekend in Ireland and I have to say that I felt right at home. The people are so nice there and so down-to-earth! I had a little old man befriend me on the bus to Dublin from the airport and he told me all the best places to go to and exactly how to get to the area where my hostel was. It was a little nerve-racking at first trying to figure out a new city all by yourself, but I conquered it pretty easily! I found out that Gormon is actually a very important name in Ireland and that you can trace my surname all the way back to the clan that ruled Ireland in the 2nd Dynasty of Ireland (we ruled until the Vikings invaded). Any time I had to give my name out to a touring company the guide would tell me "oh Gormon is it? That's a good Irish name!" It was really quite wonderful to know that my last name meant something. I found my family crest and found out where my ancestor's lived.
On the Saturday of my four day weekend I took a trip up to Wicklow for the day where I went to Sally's Gap (where P.S.- I Love You) was filmed. I loved seeing nothing but green fields and mountains (which were actually dormant volcanoes!). My cousin said that Ireland must be what heaven looks like, and I'm going to have to agree with her!
More Later!!
~See You Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment